The Federal Communications Commission (“FCC”) has established a temporary program that will provide a discount of up to $50 per month for broadband services for eligible households. Consumers who live on qualifying Tribal lands can receive enhanced support of up to $75 per month toward broadband services. The program is referred to as the Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB) Program.
It is important to note that the Emergency Broadband Benefit is a temporary assistance program and is limited to one monthly service discount per household.
You qualify if you meet any of the following:
- Already qualify for the Lifeline program.
- At least one member of the household receives benefits from one of the following federal assistance programs: Medicaid, SNAP, Supplemental SSI, Federal Public Housing Assistance or Veterans and Survivors Pension Benefit.
- Household income is at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
- Receive free or reduced school lunch.
- Experienced a substantial loss of income since February 29, 2020, and can provide a layoff or furlough notice or application for unemployment benefits.
- Received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year.
At this time, we do not have a specific start date from the FCC. When the program is opened up, you will need to do the following to apply for EBB:
- Visit our website at www.jbntelco.com, click on the EBB tile (if you did that and were re-directed here, the program is not open yet) and complete the questionnaire with your information. Please note that ALL requested information is required and you must agree to all terms of service before proceeding.
- Visit www.checklifeline.com/ebb and complete your lifeline application.
- Email your qualification confirmation to us at email@example.com. Make sure to include your qualifying number.
With this benefit, there are a couple of things we would ask you to keep in mind. If you are already a Lifeline qualifier, you will still need to fill out an application for this program. If you are not currently a Lifeline qualifier, you will need to fill out an application for this program as well as a 2nd application that may ask for repetitive information. There is no way around this, you will simply have to fill out the information twice. Also, we will need an email address that you check regularly, as this is how program information will be communicated to you. This information will include monthly emails, which the participant MUST reply to in order to continue receiving the EBB discount as well as the estimated end date of the benefit when that is known.